December 15, 2018 Safety and Compliance

Unified Carrier Registration

If your company has one or more commercial motor vehicles (CMVs) that cross state lines, you are required to register and pay a fee based on the number of vehicles involved in interstate transit. This must be done on the Unified Carrier Registration (UCR) website at and is due by Jan. 1st each year.

Like last year, the administration has not settled on the fee structure yet, so you can’t currently complete the registration. Please check the website every week or so until they open up the registration process. A couple of key points to remember:

  • When you list the total number of powered CMVs, be sure to subtract the vehicles that never leave the state, so you don’t pay unnecessary fees. There is a line on the form for the intrastate-only vehicles that you subtract from the total number of CMVs.
  • Use the UCR website listed above. There are several organizations sending email solicitations offering to complete the registration for you, and they will charge you a fee for something that is very easy to do yourself.

If you have any questions, please contact your consultant, Michael Dodd, at [email protected] or 573-718-2887.



To Top